Writing scripts in bash is lame. I'm not the only one who thinks so: Shell Script Language – Use Perl, Not Bash | LinDesk
From the post:
Advantages of using a Shell Language
- Its supported in even the tinest linux distros – even in embedded systems.
- Its the method preferred by the majority – I hope this will change soon.
- Command calls look more natural in a shell language.
Advantages of using a High Level Language
- Better Code
- Easy to maintain
- Faster development
- Libraries provide a lot of functionality
- Easier to port to different platforms.